Knee pain can limit your daily life. It’s a most common problem that affects people of all ages. The severity and symptoms of knee pain may vary depending on the cause. The most common sign and symptoms of knee pain are:
- Constant ache
- Swelling and redness
- Sharp and unbearable pain to move
- Sensitive to touch
- Weakness, or stiffness
- Inability to movements
Common Cause of Knee Pain
The common causes of knee pain are given below with short descriptions:
- Arthritis is the leading cause of knee pain and joint pain. There’re over 100 types of arthritis with different causes. Osteoarthritis is the most common type of those that affect the joints. Sprain and tear from an infection or injury can lead to loss of cartilage, which is the cause of osteoarthritis. If you have any family history of osteoarthritis, you have more chances to attack. Other causes are inherited factors, overweight and different lengths of legs.
- Knee pain may result from an injury from sports, hard work, or an accident. An injury can affect tendons, ligaments, and muscles around the knees. Then occurs an inflammation, swelling, and inability to move.
- Overweight can be the cause of knee pain. Excessive weight puts a lot of stress on the knee that damages the cartilage of the knee joints. Due to loss of cartilage, the frictions have increased, which leads to stiffness of joints that may cause joint pain.
- Inappropriate ways of exercise like cycling for a long time or high-intensity running on a treadmill machine with disharmony can lead to damage to your cartilage and ligament.
- Torn ligaments, rupture cartilage, sprain of muscles, and tendonitis can be other causes.
How to Get Rid of Knee Pain
The experience of knee pain isn’t desired for anyone. Continuing pain feels boring and can limit your movements. Everyone wants to get rid of knee pain at any cost. In this article, we will discuss the solution for knee pain in various aspects.
Only medication (NSAIDs) is not enough to relieve pain, but supportive treatment is needed to stay good. Moreover, long-term medication can cause kidney damage. So it’s an excellent idea to adopt a natural way to reduce your knee pain and stay healthy. Exercise, support with a knee brace, and some food supplements can give you better relief from knee pain. Here, a step-by-step discussion about exercise, knee brace, and food supplements can be effective for you.
Exercise With Elliptical Trainer
It’s a common mistake to do exercise as a convenient way for reducing knee pain. A lot of stress puts on your knees during exercising which tends to increase knee pain. So, a question is arising: how can exercise help reduce knee pain?
Workouts can help reduce knee pain by reducing body weight. But you have to do the proper workout with the right equipment in the appropriate way. If you have any history of knee pain, conventional exercise like cycling, running, jumping, etc., can’t help you. Here an elliptical machine can give you a better solution. The elliptical machine is a particular type of equipment that has a low impact on the knee during exercise. If you do exercise with an elliptical machine, you can get positive results from exercise. Here we will discuss some models of elliptical machines for your kind information.
Schwinn 411 Elliptical Trainer
It’s the best quality elliptical equipment for low-impact exercise and is well fitted at home in a small space. It can help you reduce your weight by exercising on the elliptical machines with its 16 levels of magnetic resistance that come with an LCD console to monitor the heart rate. You can buy it at a comparatively low price.
Schwinn A40 Elliptical Trainer
The Schwinn A40 Elliptical is a simple, reasonably bare-bones machine of Active Series of international fitness brand Schwinn®. The lowest level (8) of resistance prevents your knee from injury or stress.
Schwinn 520 Reclined Elliptical Trainer
The Schwinn 520 reclined elliptical trainer allows you to work out from a sitting position. Airdyne technology is used that can deliver no-impact and seated workout options for an injured person.
How to Protect Knees on Elliptical Machine From Getting Hurt
A study published by Harvard Medical School says an elliptical trainer helps you burn high calories (378 calories in 30minute) and lose body fat & weight.
Besides, an elliptical machine puts less pressure on your knee joints. An elliptical trainer can reduce knee pain with achy joints and overuse injuries. Some guidelines are given here to protect your knees using an elliptical machine.
- Start slowly with meager resistance
- Hold the handrails lightly
- Maintain proper alignment
- Drink water to prevent dehydration
- Use a knee brace that supports your knee
Knee Brace to Relieve Pain: Protect Your Knees
A knee brace may reduce knee pain and increase your confidence in your knee. A knee brace can give you the following benefits.
- Prevent workout injuries
- Give support to the patella
- Healing ligament sprains
- Protect from sports injuries
- Prevent ACL and PCL injuries
- Fix knee instability
- Support a dislocated knee
Here we discuss and review some popular knee brace models that you could easily find an excellent knee brace for you.
Hinged Knee Brace
It’s a most advanced and protective brace to knee support with these great features:
- Bilateral dual hinges give incredible support and range of motion.
- Aluminum stays add stability, protection, and increased performance.
- X-Fit straps for security and fit that’s easy to adjust.
- N-tex vented neoprene that enhances airflow and reduces odor, bacteria, and moisture.
Modvel Knee Sleeve
- MODVEL product is designed and intended to provide these three benefits: pain relief, comfort, convenience.
- It can provide maximum support to your knees without limiting your mobility.
- The sleeves are made with breathable neoprene fabric, which will keep your skin dry and free from sweat, irritations, or rashes.
- This stylish design of these sleeves are well fitted for both men and women.
ACE Adjustable Knee Support
The ACE™ is a trusted brand serving for 100 years with its products intended to support and comfort. Features are given below:
- Dual side stabilizers for lateral support to sore muscles and weak joints.
- Made with soft, neoprene-blend material to keep you cooler and drier.
- One size fits most, convenient design, and easy to use.
Supplements for Knee Pain
Taking supplements may help to slow cartilage loss and reduce knee pain. The popularity of supplements is increasing day by day with their incredible effectiveness. Research suggests that certain herbal and supplements may be effective. But there are thousands of products available from hundreds of different manufacturers. So it’s hard to know which ones work and are safe for use.
Supplements that contain glucosamine, chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) have more chances to be effective for reducing knee pain. Glucosamine and chondroitin protect the chondrocytes that help to maintain cartilage structure.
Glucosamine is an essential element for the formation of cartilage. Taking it as a supplement helps slow down cartilage loss and supports mobility and flexibility.
Chondroitin is a natural part of your bones and cartilage. By taking it as a supplement can help your joints to absorb shock. It also creates lubricants that can help to move your joints more smoothly.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) ‘s primary function is to retain water to keep your tissues/joints well lubricated and moist. Studies show that taking HA as supplements can be more effective and manage pain than NSAIDs with fewer side effects.
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a source of sulfur responsible for the formation of collagen in joints. Collagen is an essential part of your joints because it supports the structure of cartilage.
Advanced plus MSM, NOW Supplements, Animal flex, and Alflexil premium are well-known supplements that have more chances to be effective because they have essential elements like glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM hyaluronic acid, or all of those.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best exercise for knee pain?
Typically, exercise puts stress on the knee. Exercise using an elliptical machine can be the best exercise for knee pain because it has a low impact on the knee.
What is the best exercise machine to strengthen knees?
The Schwinn 520 reclined elliptical trainer can be the best machine. It provides a comfortably seated workout with less impact on the knees.